Monday, November 28, 2011

Christmas Tree Outing


For the second year in a row, our family journeyed to the Neiman Tree Farm to pick out our Christmas tree. The four of us meandered through the rows and rows of beautiful Fraser Firs looking for just the right tree to catch all our eyes. That four of us, (Mom, Dad, son, and daughter) could agree on a single tree seems impossible but we were able to come to a consensus in short order and without much debate or compromise. We were all in agreement--the tree we stood around was the one.

I took several pictures of the tree before it was to be cut down for us. I tried to get the kids to stand around it and let me take a picture, but that was not something we could agree upon. I lost that argument. I was simply trying to preserve a memory I knew I would look back upon in years to come. But the memory will be etched in my mind, picture or not.

In short order, the tree was cut down and placed upon the top of our vehicle. We proudly drove off congratulating ourselves on what a fine tree it was and how beautiful it would look in our home when adorned with lights and ornaments!

We concluded this journey with a trip to Five Guys Burgers—a favorite of the kids, and mom and dad. Again, agreement was reached quickly and easily. It had actually been decided we would go there before we even left the house.

The tree does it indeed look beautiful in our home and provides a fragrant aroma that enhances our holiday mood. Christmas is made of events like this. Moments that transform into a tradition that we each will remember for years to come. We will tell stories about it and, I suspect, embellish the stories over the years with phrases like “I saw the tree first!,” or “Dad got lost again!”

But it was a moment to enjoy being family. Families aren’t perfect—ours certainly is not. We have our own sense of frustrations with each other at times. And at times we enjoy the tremendous sense of harmony and belonging. Christmas brings a heightened awareness to the value of family. And I’m glad our Christmas tree outing has enriched our family again this year.

No comments: